Love it or hate it, this is a really easy recipe to follow.
7oz / 200g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
2oz / 50g butter (not marg!)
2tbsp milk (full fat works best, but any will do)
3 medium sized bananas (mushed up)
3 ½ oz / 75g soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C (160⁰C for a fan assisted oven). Grease and lightly flour a bread tin.Sieve the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and rub together, using your hands, until a fine mixture is formed.Add the milk, egg and sugar and mix well with an electric mixer or a large wooden spoon. Then add the bananas, continuing to mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the bread tin and flatten the top as much as possible.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 1 hour. At this point, check the bread with a skewer – If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, leave for another 10 minutes at a time, checking at each interval with the skewer.
- Once cooked, place the tin on a (heatproof) cool surface and allow the bread to cool for 30 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once fully cooled, either wrap in clingfilm and store, or serve with butter and / or jam.