Everyone’s had the need for a sugar rush. When you’re ill, when you’re weak, when you need a boost, just because…
Well, if you can manage to wait to the next day, I’ve discovered the perfect (very easy) recipe for peppermint creams; otherwise known as mint cake.
500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar, sifted
1 egg white, stiffly whipped
1-2tsp lemon juice
Few drops of peppermint oil
Optional: Edible silver balls / hundreds & thousands / chocolate drops for decoration
Optional: Food colouring
1. Mix together the icing sugar, egg white, lemon juice and peppermint oil until you have the texture of pastry. If you would like, add a few drops of food colouring now.
2. Knead well together until smooth (you may need to use a few drops of water to ensure the “dough” sticks together thoroughly) then roll out on a work surface; lightly dusted with icing sugar; to a thickness of approx 1cm (1/2 inch).
3. You’ll need to work fast at this point as the “dough” does tend to become unworkable quickly. Cut out shapes (rounds, stars, hearts, etc) using cookie cutters and place them on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
4. If you like, decorate the shapes at this point (OPTIONAL).
5. Leave to harden overnight, the enjoy the following day! Enjoy 🙂