I’ve had some mixed vegetables in the fridge for quite some time, not knowing what to do with half of them. I’ve never eaten a parsnip, let alone use one for cooking, but all the veg was going off, and so I thought it was about time that they get used.
1l vegetable stock
1 medium sized onion
4-5 medium sized potatoes
Some of your favourite herbs
1. Mix your vegetable stock together in a large pan. I used 2 veg OXO cubes and 1 litre of water. Bring to the boil.
2. Whilst waiting for the stock to boil, prepare your veg. Peel and dice all your vegetables into approx 1/2 inch cubes.
3. When the stock is boiling, add the prepared veg.
4. Bring back to the boil, and then turn the heat down to a simmer.
5. Allow the stock & cubed veg to simmer for 20-30 minutes. When you are able to insert a sharp knife easily into some of the cubes, you’re ready for the next part…
6. Remove from the heat completely. If you are going to add some of your favourite herbs, now is the time to do it.
7. Using a hand-held blender (or any alternative you have), blitz away the veg until it becomes really thick and creamy looking.
8. Ta-da! You’re done. For serving, I just put some in a bowl and wolfed the whole lot down, but for that added extra, why not garnish with a small sprig of parsley?
**Once completely cooled down, if you are not going to eat any more within the next two days, you can pour the soup into an airtight sealable freezer bag. This will keep nicely for up to 3 months… Just ensure that you reheat the soup until it is piping hot.