Most of the hints and tips have been used for many years, by many people, but I thought, ‘why not spread the word for people who don’t know…’ So, here you are. Let me know your experiences!
- Peel a banana from the bottom and you won’t have to pick the little ’stringy things’ off of it. That’s how the primates do it.
- Take your bananas apart when you get home from the shop. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.
- Store your opened blocks of cheese in tin foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mould like it does in cling film.
- Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating raw. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.
- Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef. It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.
- To really make scrambled eggs or omelets rich add a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream or cream cheese in and then beat them up.
- Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic, and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic.
- Quick Dessert: Simply chop up some bars of Snickers with a food chopper. Peel, core and slice a few apples. Place them in a baking dish and sprinkle the chopped Snickers bars over the apples. Bake at 170C for 15 minutes. Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream.
- Heat up leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza.
- Easy egg mayonnaise? Put hard boiled eggs in a sealable bag. Seal, mash till they are all broken up. Add mayonnaise and continue mashing. Just throw bag away when done for an easy clean up.
- To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that you’ve been keeping in the fridge, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.
- Broken Glass: Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can’t see easily.
- Reducing Static Cling: Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with trousers that cling when wearing tights. Place pin in seam of your trousers and-ta da! — static is gone.
- Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don’t dry cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.
- If you seal an envelope and then realise you have forgotten to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Viola! It reopens easily, but you will have to reseal it with a gluestick.
- Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs (or your face). It’s a lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It’s also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn’t like when you tried it in your hair…