I have never in my life had a recipe so tasty, yet so easy (and quick!) to make. This takes approximately 10 minutes from gathering the ingredients, weighing, making, and pouring. The only thing that takes the time is after it has been poured in to the tin, as it can take 1 to 1 and a half hours to ‘set’ before you’re able to snap it up to enjoy. Anyway…
Butter (for greasing)
200g caster sugar
5 tbsp golden syrup
2 tsp bicarb soda
1. Grease a 20cm square tin (or line with greaseproof / baking paper).
2. Put the sugar and syrup in to a deep pan, and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Try not to let the mixture bubble.
3. Once the sugar crystals have melted, turn up the heat and allow to boil (whilst stirring continuously) until the mixture becomes an amber colour.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, and using a wooden spoon, QUICKY beat in the bicarb soda until you can no longer see the powder. Be careful, as the mixture will start to foam, and will burn you if it touches you.
5. Scrape the mixture in to your greased / lined tin and allow time for it to harden (around 1 to 1 and a half hours or so). Do NOT put it in the fridge.
6. When the mixture has set fully, you’ll be able to tip it out of the tin, and break / snap it up to serve as a treat, bag up as a gift, or to scoff the lot yourself 🙂
I turn around for 2 seconds, whilst I go and find my gift bags, only to find this little Gning running off with the honeycomb..!!
Ready to give as gifts…