Over the past few years, it seems bath bombs have been popping up at every skincare shop out there. Bath bombs leave your bathwater cleansing, soothing and delightfully fizzy. With their soothing scents and fun fizzy effect, it’s no wonder bath bombs are such a huge hit. .However, boutique bath bombs can be expensive and include a fizzing ingredient called citric acid that can be harsh on your skin. .
It’s easy to make on your own using ingredients found at your local supermarket, and you can omit the citric acid. This recipe calls for cream of tartar (which is sold in the baking aisle in Asda!), which, when combined with baking soda, will give you the same fizzy results.
Ingredients & Materials Needed
256g (9oz / 2 cups) of bicarbonate soda
128g (4.5oz / 1 cup) cream of tartar
50g (1.6oz / 6 tbsp) of Epsom salts
Essential oils of your choosing
Coconut or olive oil
Water or Witch Hazel – in a spray bottle
Large mixing bowl
Large metal spoon
Silicone ice cube tray or mould
- Combine the bicarb soda, cream of tartar and Epsom salts in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add up to 20 drops of your choice of essential oil (or up to your desired scent) and two teaspoons (7g / 11ml) of coconut / olive oil. If you have any dried lavender or any other dried flowers, you can add them at this point.
- Once all the ingredients are thoroughly combined, test the mixture by squeezing a small amount in your hand. If the powder easily compresses together without separating, it is ready to place in the moulds. However, if the mixture crumbles apart, add a single spray of water / Witch Hazel at a time until you can compress it into a ball. You shouldn’t have to add more than five sprays of water / Witch Hazel.
- Now pack the mixture tightly into the silicone moulds. You will find that the back of a metal spoon will help compact the mixture in to all corners of the mould.
- Leave the mixture in the mould for a full 24 hours to dry.
- Once the bath bombs have dried for 24 hours in the mould, carefully remove them and allow them to air dry undisturbed for another 24 hours. Then, drop one in your bath and enjoy the fizz!