I have made this recipe time and time again, and when I come to make them again this morning, I realised that my eggs were TOTALLY out of date, so I decided to mix up the recipe a little to make them without any egg yolk. They’ve come out a treat, and according to the hubby, these are the “best” I’ve ever made.
If I have calculated this correctly, the ingredient amounts below should make approximately 20 biscuits, and cost about 60p ($0.75).
Perfect for those family members and friends who have an egg allergy, try this out.
8oz (225g) butter – softened
4oz (115g) sugar (I used caster sugar, but standard, granulated is ok too)
12oz (340g) plain flour
Hard boiled sweets (or hard boiled candies, if you live in the US)
- Preheat your oven to 190°C (170°C for fan assisted).
- Line your baking sheets with grease proof / baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream your butter. You should really use the back of a wooden spoon for this, but I continually used my electric hand mixer on a slow speed.
- Add the sugar, and cream in to the butter.
- Add the vanilla essence – I really went overboard with the amount I used, because we all love vanilla, but you should only really use a cap-full; and the water. Mix thoroughly.
- Start to combine the flour, bit by bit, until it becomes almost impossible to continue mixing, then combine the rest thoroughly with your hands. Knead the dough a little in the bowl, to ensure it all sticks together.
- Turn the dough out on to a clean and floured surface, and roll out to approximately 1cm depths.
- Using your cookie cutters (I used a large gingerbread man cutter), cut out your biscuits, and place carefully on to the lined baking tray. Repeat until you have used up all of your dough.
- Using a small cookie cutter (I used a small star this time), remove the “belly” / middle of each large man shape / biscuit. With using the small star shape, I was able to use these for some regular, star-shaped biscuits for my Donut.
- Place a hard boiled sweet in to the middle of the cut-out you have just done (i.e. my star shape in the belly).
- Place in the preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and – keeping the biscuits on the grease proof paper, remove the trays on to a cool surface.
- Allow to cool for approximately 30 minutes – or until the melted sweet has reset, and you now have the choice to either scoff the lot, or decorate!