A great recipe that costs pennies to make.
I made a bit of a booboo with the recipe, but overall, it turned out great. Afterall, making mistakes when baking makes some of the best recipes known to man. I also burned my finger rather badly when taking the tin out of the oven, so please, please, please, be careful!
3oz self-raising flour
3oz caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
Lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
For the drizzle
2oz caster sugar
Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C for fan assisted ovens.
- Line your loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest in a large bowl, until creamy.
- Pour in to your lined tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, and whilst it’s cooling, measure out your sugar for the drizzle, and stir thoroughly with the juice from 1/2 a lemon, until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- As soon as the sugar is dissolved, pour the mixture over the top of the still warm cake, and spread all over with the back of a metal spoon.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Slice up and enjoy!
Bananas have so many health benefits, that I am sure that someone would get bored reading before even getting halfway through the list. Here’s just 10 reasons why you should make a banana your favourite fruit.
- Eating two bananas can give you enough energy for a 90 minute workout session.
2. Bananas can help fight against depression. This is because bananas contain a protein called tryptophan, which converts to serotonin. Serotonin helps you relax and can make you feel better too.
3. Bananas contain Vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose levels. This vitamin also puts you in a good mood!
4. The Vitamin B6 in bananas will also help fight nerves and stress.
5. Bananas can help battle high blood pressure, and prevent strokes! The fruit is high in potassium, and low in sodium, which is the perfect combination to fight against both ailments.
6. To that effect, bananas can soothe heartburn because of the natural antacid effect it has on the body.
7. Bananas are high in fibre. This can help regulate bowel movements without resorting to laxatives.
8. Having trouble passing your exams? The potassium in a banana can help your stay focused and alert.
9. The inside of a banana peel can soothe mosquito bites, and even sun burn! Simply peel, enjoy eating the banana for all its’ health benefits, and then run the inside of the skin on the affected area.
10. As if bananas couldn’t be any more magical, they can also help cure a hangover!