Talk about a comfort food! This is a perfect pudding to make and enjoy, whilst waiting for Spring to turn up. I know, I know – it’s officially Spring already, but it’s still chilly out there!
This recipe takes about 15 minutes to make, and then a further 45 minutes to “bake”. I asked for the help of Gning with this one…
3-4 tsp sweet mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
1l milk (whole / full fat works best)
A few handfuls of sultanas
8 rounds of bread (approximately… You may need more, depending on the size of the ovenproof dish you use)
Butter – to grease the ovenproof dish
- Preheat your oven to 190ºC (170ºC for fan assisted ovens).
- Grease your ovenproof dish with butter.
- Measure out your sugar, and combine the sweet mixed spice, stirring thoroughly. I assigned this task to Gning.
- Measure out your milk, and crack the eggs straight in to it. Use a whisk to combine it… This was another task assigned to Gning.
- (Optional) cut all the crusts off the bread.
- Butter one side of each round of bread, and slice in half – side or diagonally, your choice. Fill the bottom of the ovenproof dish with the sliced bread (butter “up”).
- I asked Gning to sprinkle some of the sugar mix over the bread, followed by a handful of sultanas. Repeat this step until the ovenproof dish is full.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture over the top of the layered bread, and allow to “soak” for 10-15 minutes. Don’t worry if it looks like you have too much milk… You don’t. It will all set wonderfully.
- Place in the middle of the oven, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Your pudding should be ready when it is a lovely golden colour.
- Serve immediately – with or without cream; or you can leave the pudding to “set”, and serve it cold. Yummy!