On 29 September, I had horrific abdominal pains, and I was almost calling NHS 111 for advice. I had the pains, cold sweats, and was feeling incredibly nauseous. Anyway, the pain went away, I went to bed, and I thought nothing of it. The following day I had another slight “attack”, but subsided within 20 minutes.
12 October 2017, at 9pm, I had the start of a stomach ache again. I thought I had just eaten too much (pasta bolognaise and garlic bread…) I was in bed for 10pm, to try to sleep it off.
Hubby left for work for 1.20am (ish), going in to 13 October, and even though he didn’t intend to – his leaving disturbed me… Either that, or the pain woke me up, coinciding with him leaving.
Sweats, pain, nausea again… 2.10am, I call NHS 111. After a telephone triage, they decide that they need to send an ambulance – to check me over.
Next thing you know, hubby is home from work, and I’m in the back of the ambulance, on the way to A&E.
Several blood and urine tests, stomach and chest x-rays, and ecg’s later, the pain has subsided enough for me to be discharged, with the diagnosis that it’s more than likely my gallbladder / gallstones.
I’m now expecting a letter from my GP with an appointment for an ultrasound, so they can closer examine my gallbladder. This may mean an operation is on the cards…
For the past several years, my husband has been suffering with horrific pains around his stomach area. There was one bout in January that he had it so bad that he actually said I needed to call an ambulance. He’s never been one for hospitals, so I knew there was something really wrong.
At 3:05am, the ambulance came and took him away. He ended up spending two nights in hospital. However, it was a worrying, if not a positive result. They had finally found the cause to his problems. He had gall stones to the extent that they were becoming very troublesome, and he was told it could lead to future problems. He had two options. Medication for the rest of his life, or surgery to remove the gall bladder.
After a couple of hours of chatting, he decided that it would be best for surgery. “Just to get it over and done with”, he said.
He’s in surgery today. He was admitted at 7:30am this morning. As far as I’m aware, he’s actually in surgery now.
We were told there’s a 97% chance that they can do the procedure via keyhole. That means he may be able to come home either this evening or tomorrow morning. If the procedure has to turn into the full open surgery, he’ll have a 20cm cut and will be in hospital for at least 5 days. Fingers crossed it’s the keyhole.
I’m sure I’ll do an update soon. Now it’s just the waiting game to find out when I can visit him…