A great recipe that costs pennies to make.
I made a bit of a booboo with the recipe, but overall, it turned out great. Afterall, making mistakes when baking makes some of the best recipes known to man. I also burned my finger rather badly when taking the tin out of the oven, so please, please, please, be careful!
3oz self-raising flour
3oz caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
Lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
For the drizzle
2oz caster sugar
Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C for fan assisted ovens.
- Line your loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest in a large bowl, until creamy.
- Pour in to your lined tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, and whilst it’s cooling, measure out your sugar for the drizzle, and stir thoroughly with the juice from 1/2 a lemon, until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- As soon as the sugar is dissolved, pour the mixture over the top of the still warm cake, and spread all over with the back of a metal spoon.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Slice up and enjoy!